Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cinematic Home Decor: Pillow Talk (Jan Morrow's NYC Apartment)


Old movies are wonderfully like time capsules: we get a glimpse of an era's idealised fashion, slang, social mores, and most interestingly to me, their interior decor.  One movie I love for capturing the charm of 1950's modern decor is Pillow Talk, starring Rock Hudson, Doris Day, and Tony Randall.  The set designers for the movie were Russell A. Gausman and Ruby R. Levitt.

There are several sets in this movie that are lovely and totally inspiring (perhaps for a future post) but today I wanted to feature Jan Morrow's very femme, pink, New York City apartment. Here are some scenes to give you an idea:


Cute, right? And here is my take on how to recreate this style now (much of it could be thrifted):

 (click for larger)

Resources: vintage still life painting by Florence Leif; upholstered oval-back chair; crystal pendant lights; pink grasscloth wallpaper; white tufted loveseat; IKEA VĂ…RLIKT lilac glass vase; sheeny silk throw pillows; ornate white picture frames; refurbished vintage telephone; vintage glass and brass bar cart; white tufted "kimber" chairover-sized vintage lamps; pink formica/laminate counters (1, 2).

1 comment:

  1. I used to be addicted to cinematic home decor themes for my midtown on main house. I copied decors from James Bond films mostly.

    ReplyDelete